Declaring disabilities on job applications.
10 Reasons Why You Should Declare Your Disabilities on Job Applications & 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t.
Here are the reasons why you SHOULD declare your disability on job applications:
- Employment is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act and Equality Act. This means it is unlawful for employers to discriminate against people with disabilities in their recruitment and selection procedures.
- If you declare and then subsequently feel that you have been discriminated against then you can take a claim to an employment tribunal. A company cannot reject you because you are disabled if a reasonable adjustment can be made to accommodate you.
- If you declare your disability in your applications you will have more control over the way that you project it. You can give your disability positive spin. I’ I have a physical disability and I coach a Paralympic swimming team” or “Because of my hearing impairment I have an enhanced ability to concentrate which in turn has developed my ability to perform complex tasks such as entering and analysing data on spread sheets”.
- If you don’t make accurate declarations of your disability on a health questionnaire the employer may have grounds to subsequently dismiss you.
- If your disabilities have any health and safety implications for you or other employees, you are legally obliged to tell your employer.
- You will give your self the opportunity to discuss with the employer, the possibility of reasonable adjustments and the support you can get from access to work to make those adjustments.
- Disclosure will generate an open and trustful relationship between you and your prospective employer where you communicate well and openly.
- You will be able from the outset to deal with misconceptions about your disabilities.
- If your employer is aware of your disabilities they will be more able to be responsive to your needs particularly if there is an emergency or a crisis.
- If your disabilities has an impact upon you work this will not be misinterpreted as a performance issue.
Here are the reasons why you SHOULDN’T disclose your disabilities on your job applications.
- You might feel uncomfortable disclosing and then having to discuss your disabilities with a stranger.
- Your disabilities will have no impact on your ability to the job and no reasonable adjustments will need to be made for you.
- You feel that you may be discriminated against.
If you are still not sure? Talk through you decision with your career coach or someone you trust